Re: [Harp-L] Band Rehearsals -- What is your formula?

We work out all songs. We don't do just blues, but some are blues. I. M. O. a band that has tight breaks, intros and outros keeps the audience's attention. If you jam all the time, you sound like a jam band.

Bullfrog
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Davis" <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp- L" <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:26 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Band Rehearsals -- What is your formula?

I am having an interesting debate with a former member of my band -- a
guitar player -- about band rehearsals. He is of the mind that that blues is
so easy that it is never necessary to play a complete song in rehearsal. He
apparently wants to jam through live performances.

My preferred method is to play a song, have everyone suggest
changes/improvements to the arrangement, play the changed parts several
times, and then play the song again all the way through to make sure the
intro, changes, and ending are good and everybody has his parts down.

Blues is easy, alright... It is easy to play badly. My philosophy about
practice is a sports analogy:  When I played varsity sports we practiced
hard as a team, and when we were well prepared we did well.

How often does your band practice?  When you do practice, what is the
formula?

-- -Rick Davis The Blues Harp Amps Blog http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/