Re: [Harp-L] Recommendations for an affordable first amp?

I purchased an Epiphone Valve Jr., version I, for $119, and a mod kit for it
on Ebay from Alnicomagnet for $50.  It sounded good out of the box, but with
a hum that Epiphone has fixed on version 2 and version 3. The Alnicomagnet
mod kit:

*1.    **Drop HT Voltage to a safe level*

*2.    **Fit HT Fuse and chassis mount fuseholder
*

*3.    **Reconfigure input to Fender Champ specification
*

*4.    **Re-bias pre-amp tube to "Blues Harp" specification*

*5.    **Change interstage attenuation resistive network to clean up sound
*

*6.    **Fit Standby Switch*

*7.    **Fit Output Impedance Selector Switch (choose 4 or 8 ohm cabinets)*

*8.  Fit Line-Out Jack*

*9.  Fit Pentode/Triode Mode Switch*

*10. Change heater (filament) supply to DC as later Version.2*

*11. Add extra HT filter stage as later Version.2 *

*
*

*I did these modifications myself, it was easy, fun, and I know a whole lot
more about tube amps now. I have just a little experience soldering.  The
kit was complete, the instructions **were very clear and**  included great
color photographs . Alnicomagnet was quick to reply and helpful with the few
questions I did have.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this mod kit for your Valve Jr.
You will have a GREAT SOUNDING TUBE AMP! It is a 5 watt class A tube amp
that is plenty loud enough for the gigs I play in small venues, harp and
mandolin, and with the line-out mod that taps into the circuit after the
power stage, the amp plugs directly into a sound board. *

* With the pentode/triode mod it can also be run at about 2 amps so you can
crank it up at home for the saturated tube sound at a much lower volume,
(the family likes this). *
Rich

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Epiphone Valve Jr Half Stack (5-watt tube head and cab with 12-inch
> Eminence speaker) is a very good sounding harp amp for beginners or pros or
> anyone in between.  At only $250 it is a nice bargain.  It has fat loud
> tube
> tone, and is totally giggable.  Put a mic in front of it for really
> loud/large venues.  It is harp-ready, needs no tweaks to sound good, and is
> very solidly built.  I recommend it highly.
>
> --
> -Rick Davis
> The Blues Harp Amps Blog
> http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Richard Eisenberg <catketch2@xxxxxxxxx
> >wrote:
>
> > Epiphone Valve Junior; an affordable tube amp, key word TUBE. You want
> > these
> > for sound quality
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Zack <zack.pomerleau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Vox makes a battery amp. It's the best and it sounds just as good as a
> > > Valvetronix of bigger size.
> > >

> --
> -Rick Davis
> The Blues Harp Amps Blog