RE: [Harp-L] James Conway bagpipe simulating drone tuning

Ross,

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to watch/view my stuff!  No, I don't have any instructional stuff out..yet, but in the meantime, I'd advise you to check out some great instructional stuff from Irish harp master, Brendan Power. I know he has excellent material out for both diatonic and chromatic harmonica. He's a great player, teacher, customizer, and all-around good fellow!

Here's some tips to get started, not necessarily in this order:

-find another musician(s) to learn tunes, research, and play together.
- get familiar with the two main Irish tune formats: the jig and the reel
-get good tune books..I recommend the David Mallison series which includes: 100 Enduring Session Tunes, 100 Essential Session Tunes, 100 Endearing Session Tunes, and more...
-check out tunes and good info on the trad site: www.thesession.org
-listen to good recordings and try to lift melodies by ear. For harmonica, I enjoy lifting tunes from concertina players which is tonally very similar to the harmonica. I'd recommend recordings from Mary MacNamara, Noel Hill, Terry "Cuz" Teahan
- listen to the melodies long enough until you can hum or lilt them by memory, then take them to the harp.
-introduce yourself to "paddy-richter" tuning.
-get CDs from other Irish harp players like myself, Brendan Power, Mick Kinsella, Rick Epping, The Murphy Family, Eddie Clarke. Read the liner notes: there's often great harp tips in there.
-find local Irish sessions
-go to SPAH conventions
-lift with your legs..not your back!

Good luck!