[Harp-L] Mitch Kashmar

I have been singing Mitch's praises for the past 3 - 4 years and no one
ever acknowledged just how great he was. I can gladly say he has been my
friend,  through my worst days through the 80's until our friendship to this day.
In  honor of him I worked for a full year on getting a handle on his upper
register waver, no one plays more freely, better phrasing, fresh each pass,
and  with a sweeter upper register, fully tongue blocked than Mitch. His
gig with War  is purely to make money so he can do the projects he wants.
Those that don't  know the exact truth should not speak. To say he should be
playing blues, maybe  that is not what he wants to do right now. He worked 2 -
3 gigs a day busting  his butt during his Santa Barbara blues days, for
peanuts. I could not be  happier that he is getting his due...  Yeah I taught
him how to initially  tongue block, I would have to take lessons from him at
this point. He is so  relaxed when he plays, jaw dropped, everything so
fluent, that is his key. To  prove the point I am glad that Pontiax album/CD is
back out, with William Clarke  and Mitch doing their duet on the first song.
Clarke's tone and riffs were  tough, but Mitch even at that juncture in his
life was hanging right in there  with him. We first met at the Wimbledon
Tavern in Santa Barbara when I moved out  to Calif in 1982, when we met during
break and we played some together we knew  we would become friends, he
called me up to sit in with him, he always had great  bands. Next month is my
testing I must do every six months and things are just  opening up for me. With
each test I know I may get the worst news possible, so  enjoy the good
people in this business and on this planet doing good things. I  lost my half
brother last month, 34 years old, and my main first cousin at 54  two months
ago. It seems with all the people I know, everyone is losing someone.  Don't
take them for granted, this has been another point I have tried to stress,
knowing what I know about my own mortality maybe it will affect more people
to  just perform good acts and be happy for guys like Mitch, who has always
had a  good heart.... Certainly the things I have said in my tough times
have made my  words seem insignificant, those are gone; however if you try and
hurt me I will  not accept it, never have or never will. No person should
try and take food off  a man's table, my grandfather who raised me taught me
that. Some just do not  have proper upbringing. Mitch had great parents, it
shows... Peace..  SJ