Re: [Harp-L] Beginner Single Notes

In a message dated 9/13/10 11:04:40 AM, bullhorn7@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I've searched and found threads from 1992 till now about methods to play
> single notes. You can probably play with whatever method you choose, but
> eventually, what I want to know is which method for playing single notes
> is
> the most effective? and why?

First of all there is no easy, automatic answer. Otherwise, you would have
found it in the archives. Plus everybody has an opinion.

There is no consensus on which embouchure if the most effective. That is
because the two main embouchures, tongue block and pucker are better than each
other in some situations.

If you want to play polkas, Stephen Foster songs -- things from the
mid-1800s with single notes and chord accompaniment -- tongue block is usually the
one to choose. But the fake tongue block, where the pucker is widened to
play a chord also works sometimes. The difference is the sound.

Most tongue blocking blocks chord notes to the left of the lead note. With
the fake tongue block, the lead note is in the center -- and thus not the
highest pitched note being sounded and thus not the most prominent sounding.

As many people have pointed out, the tongue block "crunch" where the chord
is sounded very very briefly before the single note is played is typical of
the electric Chicago style playing. Tongue block was also used by many early
blues players who did not play amplified.

The argument continues about whether tongue block or pucker produces the
better tone. The answer depends on what kind of tone the player wants.

Hope this helps.
Phil