Subject: [Harp-L] Ultrasuede valve material thickness

If you get the info and it turns out to be either the soft or light,  check
out this particular page (at the same site)....scroll down and check out
the sample bags on the left side for $4.97 - which should yield you enough to
 make plenty of valves.

_http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Ultrasuede-8-Ounce-Scrap-Bag_p_2565.html
_
(http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Ultrasuede-8-Ounce-Scrap-Bag_p_2565.html)

I've long ago posted links here to other companies also selling such
samples for a few dollars, but this is as good a source as any for the  material.

I believe PT Gazell was the first one to use ultrasuede as a windsaver in
his half-valved diatonics, but amn't 100% sure.

Please post your results (and also which adhesive proves best), since I'd
be quite interested for my own chromatics. I understand also that use of a
blade  (Exacto?) or a cutting board with slicing blade is preferable to
scissors.

Regards,

Elizabeth

"Message: 2
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:52:25 -0700
From: enzyme rich  <rmdc55@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
I would like to try to make  some diatonic valves out of ultrasuede since it
is highly recommended as the  best material.
A search online turned up this company that sells  it
http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Ultrasuede-Ultraleather_c_8.html<harp-l@h
arp-l.org>
But,  it comes in 3 thicknesses
soft
light weight
upholstery
Harp players  have suggested getting material the thickness of a credit card
which is about  1 mm.
Since I'm ordering it thru the mail I can't see it so I need to figure  out
which thickness to order.
The fabric website says the upholstery grade  is 1 mm thick so I thought
that
would be the stuff.
When I called the  fabric company the salesperson said the upholstery grade
is actually about 3  times thicker than a credit card and thought it was too
thick. So now I'm not  sure what to get.
Does anybody know the actual name for the best thickness  for valves - soft,
light weight or upholstery?
Any advice greatly  appreciated.
Thanks!
Rich