[Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan's New Axe?

That's an old photo of Bob, but it does appear to be a chromatic. He also posed with a chromatic for a magazine or foreign CD cover in the late 90s or early 2000s -- although I can't seem to find that photo online. I think he (or the photographers) just finds that chromatic is more visible and can more easily be held two-handed for photos. This isn't even unique to the harp; I used to have a big wall poster of Dylan holding a bass guitar, and he never played bass either.

To my knowledge, Dylan has no recordings nor live performances playing chromatic. He probably owns one and has messed around on it, but I'd be very surprised if he has ever taken a serious interest in the instrument. He's an underrated diatonic player but in recent interviews has even downplayed the role of diatonic in his songwriting and performances.

Jonathan Metts
Prairie Dog PR
Ph: 205.435.0991
pr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / prairiedogpr@xxxxxxxxx