Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and tone

Hi all,

For those interested in learning how to tongue block, I would suggest
listening to Sonnyboy I, John Lee Williamson. For some unknown reason, once  I
started to play along with his music, I started to tongue block.  I was
trying to mimic his style, and it just started to happen. May or may not work or
 help you, but it did for me. Once I started to tongue block (after 15
years of  playing) , I never looked back. It was a major addition to my style of
 playing harmonica.

I "purse" the 1 and 2 hole bends, most of the time, but am starting to see
I can TB them also. Playing out of each side of the tongue block is a huge
advantage to getting up and down the scales. I do still purse sometimes
when the  moment strikes me to purse the note. TB opened up a whole new world
for me. I  agree the conclusion here is to learn both. This is an interesting
thread.

Best to yaz,

Chris Mastakas

In a message dated 9/10/2010 12:15:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,