Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and tone

There are no dumb questions when it comes to harmonica.

Remember when everybody had his or her own idea about positions before the
Circle of Fifths was discovered? Everybody agreed on the first three
positions but this it turned into a muddle.

Perhaps a better term for   is corner blocking because the emphasis is on
the corner of the mouth and the lips and the side of the tongue comes into
play -- but is not the solitary player. The tip or front of the tongue comes
into play in the octave shape where the mouth covers four or five holes and
the tongue -- again in an imprecise manner -- covers the center two or three
holes and the outer holes (usually, but not always, an octave) sounds.

Whatever you want to call it, Fred, Mac, Mike or Joe, just keep in mind
that it really is not that difficult -- otherwise it would not be so
widespread. The fact that some prefer the center lip blocking instead of the side lip
blocking or corner blocking is a matter of personal choice.
Hope this helps.
Phil