Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention -- Asia popularity

There has to be something else going on here to explain why all these Asian
kids and young people flock to the harmonica.

The Asia phenomenon is interesting. What is the appeal of the harmonica in
Asia? Is it simply a cultural difference? Whether it's economics: they can't
afford guitars? They can't afford ipods, ipads, laptop computers, cell
phones or other distractions? Good quality harmonicas are readily available?
Good quality instructors are readily available? Playing music is considered a
legitimate art form not an idle distraction and waste of time? The harmonica
is regarded as a legitimate instrument, not a toy? The instrument blends
itself well with traditional Chinese music? There is a strong tradition of
harmonica in Chinese music?

Whatever it is, those young people flock to the harmonica festival because
they want to be there. And until we get a handle on what it is that drives
them to attend, we're not going to make any reasonalble comparisons to SPAH.

I'm sure there are more questions, but until they are asked we're not going
to have a clue as to what is going on here.

Eschew obfuscations.
Phil