Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and tone

Tone is one of those elusive qualities like comb materials. What produces
the best tone? U-block, tongue block or pucker embouchure?

As to the degrees of difficulty, I don't know that anyone has ever done a
comparative test to determine whether tongue blocking or lip pursing is more
difficult to master.   Partly this is due to the fact that tongue block is a
misnomer.

With tongue block the key ingredient is getting the tongue out of the way,
off to the side, to allow a small hole in the left or right corner of the
mouth. It is not a precise movement. It's the side of the tongue that blocks
the comb. Concentrating on getting that little hole in the corner of the
mouth is the important thing. The tongue is just casually resting on the comb.

But keep in mind, tongue blocking was the original received way to play the
Richter tuned harmonica and for many years -- 50, 75, 100? -- most
harmonicas contained a small piece of paper explaining how to execute tongue
blocking.

That piece of paper is still available in the Hohner BluesBand harmonica**
-- the one that comes in a cardboard box and is sold at Cracker Barrel for
about $5.95 next to the cash register.

It might be comforting to know that over the years only a few million
people learned to tongue block the harmonica.

**Other brands also include embouchure directions along with their
harmonicas today.

Hope this helps.
Phil