[Harp-L] Kim Wilson TB/Pucker

When Kim stopped by my house on one of his tours, I straight up asked him
if he TB'd all the time.. He honestly told me that he does both whenever he
wants, then proceeded to mess with me and played the same lines, asking
which  was which, and I have a pretty good ear and could not tell whatsoever. I
do both  and find the more relaxed I am playing TB helps to get the same
basic tone with  Pucker. I hit the gym six days a week and work on my
breathing while doing the  elliptical after the strength training. This helps
immensely as I use yoga  breathing which is much harder with your heart rate at
150 BPM... Your lungs  fill from the extreme bottom of your diaphragm, slowly
letting them fill over a  10 - 12 second span, then blow it out with a 3
second burst, then immediately do  the deep breathing, even though your body
will want to take that fast full  breath, then going back to the deep
breathing the next breath. With Sonny's  style it helps as he was a pure diaphragm
player, no throat involved.. Another  way to help is to pull the air in with
your throat, in light bursts, and  exhaling the exact same way. You can
speed up or slow down your vibrato, have  more control of it practicing like
this. Doing cardio according to your heart  rate is key; if too low you are
only burning the stored glycogen, not fat, and  if too high you are burning
muscle with the fat.. There is a formula that uses  your resting heart rate as
part of the equation of what range you should be in,  but an easy way is to
subtract your age from 220, and to be in perfect fat  burning you want to be
at 80% of your maximum heart rate. So if you are 50, your  max is 170 BPM>>
80% of 170 is 136 BPM, which is on the low side. The  better shape you are
in you can hit 85% to a bit more. So 136 - 150 is great for  working on your
harp playing while keeping fit. Always do cardio after you train
anaerobically, weight training burns up the glycogen stored in your liver so  that
when you go to do cardio you will get to fat burning much faster... I am a
National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer and
nutritionist.  The guy on the original Bowflex commercials, Tom Pervis, was my teacher
of this  4 day, 12 hours a day course...  If people are interested, give it
a try  and see if it helps you like it does me.
I will be posting soon some solos from 1993 with my band, Sonny Jr and Code
 Blue, they kicked in those ideas I had at the time.. Amp at the time was a
 Gibson GA45 with 4 x 10 which is pretty bright.
I have been talking with Paul Davies about being at SPAH next year and
giving a seminar on Sonny's style, being in the vendor's booth and part of the
whole thing.. I will be possibly at the Garden State Festival, I will need
more  information on it. Sept 25 - 26 for Raleigh, not the 23rd. Just trying
to create  a different subject maybe for a day or two.. Sonny Jr.