Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking

Hi, Todd.

I started playing harp by puckering, too, and this was my main technique for
some years. I only tongue blocked to make octaves, or reach quickly the
higher holes on the right.

Simultaneously, I was always wondering whether tongue blocking could widen
horizons in my playing. After talking with some friends, experienced harp
players, I decided to start learning how to bend notes, play some riffs and
effects, etc, by tongue blocking on the lower end. It requires PATIENCE, you
know, but EVENTUALLY you will SUCCEED. The best way is listening carefully
the Walters (Little & Big).

I'm still working on this. I've started to use tongue blocking depending on
the needs of the moment, song, phrase, groove, etc. I find difficult to
tongue block the 1st hole (with the tongue on the right side of the mouth)
so I don't do it in this case. And I use puckering whenever it sounds better
for me in a specific phrase. For example, if I want the phrase to sound very
clean and fast.

I think it's worth trying because you will be able to choose the technique
which fits better in each situation.

Another good debate is what great harp players do on the lower end. For
example: does Jerry Portnoy or Kim Wilson usually tongue block the 1st, 2nd
and 3rd holes?

In my opinion, the amaziest tongue blocker is Greg Zlap. It's hard to
believe how smooth, dirty, sweet, or ultra-fast he can be. He bends or
overblows so easily... He can play jazz or blues or whatever. And he only
uses tongue blocking!!

I think some other comments will bring more light to this subject.

Cheers,

M.A.