Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention and Jon Gindick's Jamp Camp

Richad Hunter wrote

"But there are events for harmonica players in Asia that draw over 2,000,
including hundreds of younger players. What are they doing differently?"

I've been to SPAH in 2005 and was at the 2008 and 2010 Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival as a performer and judge. I can tell you the difference.

SPAH is a wonderful event, featuring the many of the great American players. Players of all levels are welcome, part of the festival is focused on teaching, lead by Joe Filisko. The concert and workshops are terrific, there is an informal feel. Lots of time with old and new friends, great jams lead by Jimi Lee and others. There are some chromatic players, a few trios, but the focus is mostly 10 hole harmonica.

As I recall, the SPAH audience tended more toward my age group. I'm 52, I felt right at home.

The Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival is about competitions. There are over 2000 competitors, most are under 25. Harmonica teaching is well organised in Asia, particularly in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Taiwan. They mostly play Chromatic and Tremolo, the focus is on classical playing, particularly in Hong Kong. Not many 10 hole players. The leading players take teaching very seriously.

I judged the trios, and heard 25 groups. 20 of them were good, half a dozen were exquisite. Likewise for the junior solo competition. There were many orchestras, high school kids mostly. All dressed up, excited to play, excited to be there. The 10 hole harmonica competition had 6 entrants only.

The big concert was held in one of Singapore's major concert theatres.. The feature for me was the Hong Kong orchestra, who played a piece commissioned for the event. They were brilliant.

Conclusion. Lots of young players in Asia. Not many young players in the west, at least not at SPAH. My observation is that in western countries the harmonica is an instrument more popular with older people, like me. Perhaps it's because we focus so much on blues. We love it, the younger folk don't so much.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays