Re: [Harp-L] SPAH convention vs. Jon Gindick jam camp

I think this is incorrect. I've been to SPAH and the teach-ins. While they
are FANTASTIC, it's no place for many of the raw beginners that Jon draws.
There's not much structure, just a bunch of tables with people sitting
around them and a highly knowledgeable instructor or two (some of whom can
be a little um, intimidating in their demeanor sometimes!), each table with
different themes from 3rd position, some might be teaching repair, etc. Not
the place for someone who's already struggling to find their way.

Jon's jam camps are structured and adaptive and built around personal
attention and confidence building. I think the original suggestion was
superb, if Jon's camp ran the few days leading into SPAH and then the
attendees would emerge with the confidence he instlls in them, filled with
excitement, into the world of SPAH and all that it offers (including
Filisko's teach-ins).

Bill Hines