[Harp-L] posting reminder verbose quoting

I will preface my remarks by saying this is not about any one thing or any
one person.  It is about a trend.  Please do not take this personally
because it is not at all directed at anyone in particular.

Harp-l pays for bandwidth.  We've never exceeded our monthly allotment and
we're not really in danger of doing so now.  We also pay for our disk
storage space.  This is a finite resource.  Eventually we'll fill up our
allotted space and we'll have to purchase more.  Obviously we'd like to
forestall this for as long as possible.  Here's how you can help.

When replying to a post please edit the reply to only include as much of
the original pst as is necessary to allow people to understand what you're
replying to.  Overly verbose quoting is difficult to read and it fills
subscriber's inboxes with noise.  The recent materials debate thread has
been a particular culprit in this regard.  Many of the posts and comments
have included all or most of the posts the person was replying to.  Gmail
accounts don't show you any of the previously quoted text in a post.  It's
easy to forget it is there.  Not only is it there it gets archived so
please take a little extra time and excise the extraneous text in your
posts before sending them along to the list.  Your help in this matter is
greatly appreciated, thank you harp-l-listowner