[Harp-L] SPAH and Vounteering

I first attended my first convention in 1992 in Chicago.  It, of course it was mind blowing.  I met Al Fiore, Joe Filisko, Chris Michalek, Madcat, Al and Judy, Eddie Gordon, Buzz Krantz, Tom Styrker, Blackie Shackner, Charles Leighton , Eddy Manson, Wally Peterman,  Bob Herndon and a vast amount of other players that blew my figuring  mind.  It was harmonica heaven for 5 solid days meeting people that I treasure today. I attended the next 6 years with anxious anticipation each year to play and expand my harp knowledge and get the most out of the gathering of the tribe.  Forget giving back, for this  was my time and I was in harp heaven.

Things were changing each year.  The blues crowd now in their late 30âs  and early 40âs, with enough disposable income,Âwere able to travel and  attend conventions.  SPAH was slowly opening to the diatonic harmonica and the blues crowd.  Madcat was the one of the first blues players to warm the hearts of the SPAH crowd.  In 1992 he hosted a blues jam in the hotel bar similar to an open stage that allowed guests to sign up and play.

I started to give back by doing seminars and volunteering my time to whatever needed to be done. Â Gordon Mitchell, the president at the time, Â asked me to get a bit more involved as the years went by. Â With Doug Tate taking over and a location needed for 2001, Denver, Â decided it was time to host a convention. Â Thatâs when the education started. Â Hotels, sound, seminars, difficult talent and stage management. Â I canât even begin to tell you what a joy it has been to volunteer my time and help make this organization what it is today. Â

At first, I was a firm believer that  the SPAH experience was only worth taking from each year.   After getting involved even just a little, I today canât imagine attending without  giving back.  Itâs way too much fun.

What are your strengths and how do you want to give back? We need the help.

Paul Davies