[Harp-L] Re: Embarrassing Amp question ~ Small practice amp

The Fireball is a fine mic ~ for certain applications.
It's NOT a mic you can overdrive, ( like a decent bullet-mic, or even an
SM-58 ), with tight hand-cupping for a deep Chicago Blues tone. The  Fireball
is designed specifically to NOT produce that effect.  Hand-cupping/sealing
will have little or no effect. I use it when I  don't want distortion.
All is dependent of course on how you're wanting to sound. The other mics
mentioned will respond to these techniques, although in my opinion the
Pignose: not enough, and the Roland: way too much, given it's over processed and
 generally digitallly saturated settings. IF you're looking at a blues sort
 of thing, a small tube amp will do the trick nicely. At a similar price
(used, around $100) the Fender Champion 600 with a 12ay7 in place of the
original 12ax7 tube is a pretty good bet.

~ Jeff
Denver CO

In a message dated 8/30/2010 9:38:48 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,