Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test/Cracked chromatic combs

Hi John:

Admittedly, that was an extreme day - weather wise...and I used to go to
Arizona regularly so can attest to just what those drastic differences can
be like....on one earlier two-week vacation I had to pack summer clothes for
Scottsdale as well as heavier winter clothes for a continued trip up
beyond Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon...there was a 40 degree drop in  temperature
just driving between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

One wee correction, John...my mention of MY one cracked comb was not
intended to imply that any of yours was dropped. I absolutely believe that the
extremes in temperatures was a factor for you.  I wonder though, if sealing
the bodies of wood combs (a la Dave Payne's suggestions) might not be the
wisest  solution for those who prefer wood combs and also live where such
extreme  temperature conditions occur? It would seem (to me, anyway) to level
the playing  field somewhat.

fjm also writes:
"I have 2 chordmonicas and at least 5 270s along  with 2 pre war 280's
with wooden combs.  I think out of that group  2  have not cracked their
combs.  I live in an arid climate with  wild swings in temperature and
humidity.  To answer Elizabeth's  question, yes, I think you were just
lucky.  fjm"

And I definitely DO buy an arid climate being a factor...since  I'm aware
of a lot of other people who don't live in such  extreme temperature
conditions who also don't have such issues (as long as  the bodies haven't been
soaked in water at some point), so I'd like to pass on  personal anecdotal
suggestions, if I may?

I didn't do this in 2006, but  after watching Robert continually replace
his CBH between the folds of a plugged  in heating pad during his Canyon
Seminar, I wanted to figure out  alternative ways to prevent windsaver sticking
or popping for my own  chromatics of any body type - but which just might
also be of help  with the cracking issue with wood bodies for those who live in
drier or more  extreme-range climates...

Costco carries a big box of Hotties Hand-warmers for somewhere in the $12
range..(if memory serves). They could be a tad more expensive today, but are
far  too expensive to purchase as single-use items. If a couple of players
got together and bought a box to share, they would still last a good long
while if reserved for harmonicas.  I still have most of those I bought  two
years ago (even after taking handfuls with me to conventions -  and giving
them out primarily to the other women who, like me - have  freezing hands
while attending performances in overly-air conditioned  rooms). I usually
activate one in a jacket pocket simply to keep warm.  Late at night at SPAH or
any harmonica Convention I've attended, it's invariably  much too cold for my
comfort in any of the Hotels.

 Separately, I've bought for each of my Cx-12's a Vera Bradley quilted
double eyeglass 'case'.
(Patience---there's a tie-in). <G>

  They're not as 'girly' as they might sound. I did buy patterns more
suitable for my personal taste and to match my other VB bags, but they come in
several more masculine designs as well. What's interesting about the VB
cases is  that they are heavily enough quilted to protect the chromatic better
than  any other case I've used (even those made for harmonicas), weigh
nothing, are  open at the top for easy access and have an 'extra' small pocket on
the top  side (for reading glasses)...but which I use to store either
alcohol prep  pads and a small screwdriver OR an activated Hottie Hand warmer
tucked inside - which in a very cold room or car transmits enough heat  through
the layers of fabric to function as a small, portable heating pad and  does
double duty in keeping my hands warm as well - a win-win. Since some
'powder' is emitted when one first activates the hand warmer - having the solid
layers of fabric between is a bonus. The heat lasts for a few hours as long
as  the handwarmer is enclosed (such as in a glove or boot). The  eyeglass
case fulfills that requirement.

The handwarmers/quilted cases have been kind of my 'trade secret' for  a
couple of years, since it's how I carry my 2 - 3 chromatics around everywhere
I go...enabling me to practice in the car, and even play during my recent
(and  l-l/2 years' duration) physical therapy sessions - only upon request
<G>

This is completely separate from the Mexican leather train case which  I
outfitted with pick 'n pluck foam to hold all of my diatonics and several
chromatics. I take that to conventions and when in a situation where I  might
be expecting to 'really' play...but for the most part I usually have just  3
harmonicas on hand...either 3 cx-12's or 2 cx-12's plus my Super 64  and can
cover nearly everything I need to with those.  They even went onto  the
planes to SPAH and back in my bag, while my harp case was in the  overhead
storage.

I don't pay top dollar finding them mostly through EBay, spending an
average $10 although I have paid less.  They're perfect for me  since they also
tuck very nicely into the multi-pocketed insides of Vera  Bradley tote bags.
I use a different pattern for each key, making it quite  simple to locate
which chromatic I want quickly. As an extra benefit over  leather cases,
they're washable.

I just did a quick google search and here's one similar to those I've
bought (the slanted pattern is where the 'reading' glasses go or where I  put
the hand-warmer

_http://tinyurl.com/2g5dzxw_ (http://tinyurl.com/2g5dzxw)

If anyone is interested enough to do a Google VB 'accessories'  search,
please differentiate between the hard eyeglass case which won't fit any
chromatic, the 'readers' case which is very narrow and fits only a pair of
reading glasses or perhaps a diatonic or two? I don't own any of the newer
zippered VB cases. I do use one of the 'brush and pencil' cases for my  Super 64
on occasion, but it isn't quilted as thickly.

For anyone else interested in Vera Bradley bags in general, here's  a link
I found online..the 'paddy' bag shown is typical of those I've bought (in
several different patterns), have a series of pockets ranging around the
inside  of the bag which are perfect for carrying chromatics as well as allowing
 the rest of the bag to function as a purse ...and as are most VB bags,
machine washable.  The matching duffel bags are great for traveling.

_http://user.txcyber.com/~rrush/verabradleyproducts.htm_
(http://user.txcyber.com/~rrush/verabradleyproducts.htm)

Disclaimer: I'm not remotely involved with VB, other than as a
collector/owner of quite a few patterns/items. As a point of interest, when  some VB
patterns are discontinued the prices skyrocket, even for used items  although
I've gotten some really good bargains.

I've also now taken to further identifying my cx-12's by using stick-on
'hard' letters available from craft stores on the back Hohner bar since that's
 the one part of the CX-12 least exposed to water when cleaning...(the
letters affixed to the body by Hohner come off too quickly for me  after
cleaning the shell under running water and dish soap). Those I use come  in all
kinds of colours and sizes so can be personalized as an extra  precaution when
several players can mix theirs up while playing together  (cx-12's are
notoriously difficult to tell apart).  It's  especially nice to differentiate my
Tenor C from the regular C in a  hurry.

Hope some or any of this helps.

Regards,

Elizabeth

John Walden writes:

"
Elizabeth said:
<<
I've just read John Walden's post - and am somewhat taken  aback by
his experiences. I took MY wood-bodied chroms to Arizona in 2006
(Bonfiglio's
Seminar at the Grand Canyon) - (snipped)

So what's to account for this - Am I just lucky?  Or am I simply  one  out
of hundreds of thousands of wood-bodied chromatic owners who  find the
whole
bias against wood just a wee bit  silly?

I guess I was just unlucky! On one particular day in particular... I'd
been playing my harmonicas on a sunny patio out in the desert at lunchtime, in
100 degree heat... I then drove two hours up into the mountains to play an
out-door gig at a barbeque party... It was, unexpectedly,  about 30 degrees
 F, and it REALLY felt cold!  Water was literally freezing in the  plastic
cups.

Not only did my harmonica combs split... But the crystal in my JT-30  mic
also died that same evening. I honestly don't see what I could have  done to
prevent it... But of course by the time I realised what  had happened, it
was too late anyway. And no, I didn't drop the instruments  onto a hard
surface.

I have nothing against wood as a comb material, it's just that I have had
too many chromatic harmonica pearwood combs split on me!

Best wishes,
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines