From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Country tuning name change
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:39:31 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Joe Leone wrote:
<I grew up in the doo-wop era and have played a tuning
<I came up with in 1959. I tune the 5 & 9 draws UP one sharp.

For those who don't know, if you buy a Lee Oskar standard tuning in C, and a Lee Oskar Melody Maker in G, and combine the draw plate for each with the blow plate for the other, you wind up with one "double country" tuned harp (as described above) and one Paddy Richter-tuned harp.

It's a simple way to acquire two useful tunings without picking up a file.  All you need is a Phillips #1 screwdriver.

The same approach can be used for other keys, of course.  The important thing to remember is that the Melody Makers are named for the key in 2nd position, so the MM harp has to be in the key that's a perfect 4th below the key of the standard harp.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick
Refinance Now 3.7% FIXED
$160,000 Mortgage for $547/mo. FREE. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4c812aa2f1dd39dbe6est03vuc