Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: a thought experiment (long)

joe leone writes:

<huge clippage>
What I was trying to say here was that while the sound may SOUND the same to listeners, the FEEL of the sound may FEEL different to the player. It could be the vibrations?

<Even more clippage>

Good, good, good vibrations. Interesting you should mention them Joey, because I have been thinking about them a lot lately. I think this phenomenon of harps vibrating differently in a player's hands and mouth can shed light on our ongoing discussion about the comb experiment. Here's why:

I play wood, plastic and metal combed diatonics (different temperaments for different genres, mostly). I don't ~think~, I ~know~ that when I play my Suzuki Promasters -- that have aluminum alloy combs -- I can without question ~feel~ those harps vibrate in my hands and mouth to a significantly greater degree than I can feel vibrations in harps with combs made of the other materials, wood or plastic. I think there is information in the fact that different harps vibrate differently in the hands and mouth of the player and that such information bears directly upon the questions asked in the comb experiment.

I'm not a real acoustical scientist by any means and I don't even play one on TV, but I have solved many acoustical boundary value problems (differential and partial differential equations). I can say from this experience that materials have characteristic acoustical impedances just as they have characteristic electrical impedances (resistance, capacitance and inductance). Materials with low acoustical impedance transmit acoustical vibrational energy where materials with high acoustical impedance absorb it. Sound wave reflections occur at boundaries between materials of different acoustical impedances (much as in physical optics). The higher this difference in acoustical impedances, the greater the amount of reflection. (As examples, foam rubber would have high acoustical impedance, where steel would have low acoustical impedance. That's why you see that egg-crate foam lining recording studio walls.)

With this technical underpinning, here is a little thought experiment. Another way of looking at this physical phenomenon of acoustical reflection is to understand that if one material is absorbing acoustical energy and another is reflecting it, the amplitude (loudness) of the reflected sound waves will be greater in some way with the reflecting material than the absorbing one. Makes sense, right? So one might then ask how two harps, one with its comb made of a "reflecting" material and the other of an "absorbing" material (unnamed in this experiment) would feel in one's hands? Could it be that the one that vibrates more strongly in the hand would have a comb that is absorbing less acoustical energy and vice versa? I think so.

I posit that the harp with a comb material that doesn't absorb acoustical energy transmits more vibrational energy to the player's hands and mouth than a harp with a comb that ~does~ absorb acoustical energy (and likely to a listener as well but let's stick to analyzing what the player feels). Hard to argue with that. If you feel one harp vibrating in your hands and mouth to a noticeably greater extent than you can feel when playing another harp, it is intuitively obvious that the lesser vibrating harp has done ~something~ with that acoustical energy that you ~aren't~ feeling transmitted to your hands and mouth. Yes, folks, I am saying that that harmonica somehow ~absorbed~ that energy. And since the other components (reeds, reed plates, cover plates) are the same as the other harp it must be the comb that did the absorbing.

I hope you are with me so far if you are still reading this. What I am saying here is that, from a purely theoretical view, based on the different levels of vibration a player feels in their hands and mouth I believe I have informally proven that the sound exiting two harps, one with a sound absorbing comb and the other with a sound reflecting comb ~must~ be different in some way. I further contend that the inherent differences in the acoustic properties of comb materials must cause some sort of a filtering effect (whether or not frequency-dependent) in which the frequency spectrum of sound emitting from harmonicas with different comb materials are different in ways that are characteristic of the comb materials.

I fully realize that this idea is in conflict with Vern's long-standing position. His argument that the wavelength of the sound a harmonica produces are much longer than the dimensions of a reed chamber and therefore the comb material can have no effect on the transmitted sound seems to hold water. Yet, how can this clear difference in how harps vibrate in the player's hands and mouth ~not~ bear some sort of a relationship with the sound emitted out the back of the harp?

These are the musings I think about when I try to reconcile my real-world experience playing and listening to harmonicas with my admittedly limited experience with acoustical dynamics in air. [My experience is almost all to do with studying sound waves in a (mostly) water-equivalent material (i.e. diagnostic ultrasound of the human body).] I would like it very much if Vern or anyone else can explain to me how one harp that feels like it nearly comes alive in your hands could ~not~ produce a different emitted sound compared to another with which the body of the instrument vibrates noticeably less. I'm not even saying at this point just how the two sounds might differ, but that they must differ somehow (though I have my ideas). (BTW, no one will convince me that those aluminum-combed harps don't vibrate much more in my hands than a wood or plastic-combed instrument so don't even try.)

Now whether these differences in the sounds emitted by a harp with a more reflecting comb material and one with less reflecting material are detectable by the human ear or not I don't know (I personally ~think~ that they are). But my gut tells me that spectral analysis of the recorded sounds from those different combs will show some kind of differences. I'm looking forward to learning when the results of the analysis of those spectra will become available, and what kind(s) of analyses were applied.

At least that's the way I see it. I'm sure Vern (and probably others) will "feel" differently. ;-)

Michelle