[Harp-L] The Comb Debate

 Aongus Mac Cana  wrote:

At the Willie Clancy School a year or two ago, I remember that Rick Epping
remarked in passing while discussing another topic, that he had participated
in a recording session where a harmonica player presented with a harmonica
having some exotic comb material (i.e. not wood). He said that the sound
engineer picked up right away that the sound of the harp was as he put it
"too bright"........snip...........I recall that he also did not think much of my simplistic engineering
proposal of achieving air tightness by using a paper gasket between reed
plates and comb.

I'd like to point out that just because the engineer didn't like a particular harp
in a particular application, it doesn't mean it was because of the composition of the comb.
  Re your idea for sealing combs, it's not that it was a bad idea.  A
few years ago it was widely practiced but it nowadays it is the
accepted belief that it could and would help if a comb is not perfectly
flat, but otherwise should be unnecessary.  Micropore medical tape was
one of the better materials for sealing harps.  A few years ago a
friend asked me to see if i could improve his new harp which just did
not play worth a damn.  It was one of those modular system Hohners
Bluesharps.  The tops of the comb looked like it had sawmarks all over
it.  If i had a crappy harp like that, I would not hesitate to seal it with Micropore.
ron