Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Pat Powers wrote:

I could see where a violin, hollow body guitar, or even a horn could be affected by the material used to form the resonant chamber.

On a violin, for example, the type of wood used and how it was treated and aged definitely effects the sound coming out of the instrument. That is why a 100 year old Stradivarius is worth more than a new Yamaha. Same with a horn, the bell of the instrument forms a resonant cavity, and thus the material affectsd effect the sound coming out.

This is true. I have a silver plated brass horn and a coin silver one. The coin silver one is much sweeter. This makes sense to me as it is a known fact that the more silver you add to a bell, the sweeter it sounds.

I know from experience that a composite clarinet sounds different than a wooden one.

True again, I have 2 Vito resotones. One is a Grenadilla 1952 and one a Bakelyte 1975. The 52 sounds warmer.

So, on that note, I guess the comb material could have some effect on sound, but not on a 1st order level.

A-Haaaaaaa, NOW we have it. I was trying to express this the other day but couldn't remember the term. 2nd (or 3rd) level of departure.

Im guessing it;s more like a like a 2nd or 3rd order effect. This train of thought then indicates we should probably looking more at the cover plate materials than the comb materials, as the covers form the resonant chamber of the instrument.

Probably. Prisoners often play into a cheap metal tin cup (actually alum.) The thinner the wall, the better. Playing into a plastic cup, especially an insulated double walled one from Turvis Tumbler, produces a dead sound.

I know there are some after market cover plates already out there with engineered shapes that form a larger chamber over the low notes, and taper to a smaller cavity for the high notes. Most of those appear to be made out of plastic, and come in a wide variety of candy-like colors. I've never tried any of them, but I would be interested in hearing an opinion form somebody who has.

Plastic covers seem to be dead. There's just something dead about plastic. If one plays into a s**t can (like I did in the navy), the metal ones had a nice reverb. The plastic ones don't. Playing in a ceramic tile shower seems bright, but one lined with marlite doesn't. (Marlite is plastic coated masonite). Playing inside a brewery vat (metal) sounds bright. Playing inside a wood panneled room doesn't.

So, on that note -- I wonder what carved wooden cover plates would sound like? ..or carbon fiber composite? .. or fiberglass re- inforced nylon??? It stands to reason that the cover plate material would have a much more predominant effect on sound than the comb material. I'm not not discounting the opiinon that the comb material has SOME effect, there are very knowledable people out there that say it does, but I would think the the cover plate material would have more.

Just some food for thought -- feedback and opinons are welcome.

Pat Powers

patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx