Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

Excuse me, Pat - but I don't quite understand why anyone would 'fight  a
debate' so vehemently against something which really doesn't  affect them
personally, especially declaring an issue 'hogwash' to people  who perhaps might
just as strongly maintain the opposite  point of view. Would you not
perhaps be just a tad annoyed if someone  attacked your own personal playing point
of view thusly? Why not live and let  live?

 It's a big World and individuals can still play what  they want (freedom
of choice and all that).  As far as Rob Paparozzi's  post - I couldn't agree
more with HIS take on things...and he's someone who  plays chromatics and
diatonics for a living, both to wonderful  effect.  If you weren't at this
past SPAH then you didn't get to hear  him perform on both types and slay his
audiences. Rob's a great singer as  well as an all-round entertainer.

As a little 'test' of my own - I took one of my Super 64's - put on its
brand new cherry-wood covers (bought recently from a Slidemeister whose hobby
is  woodworking)  - and then played it at different venues (the GSHC club)
and  for different groups of people at SPAH ...some of whom I had not
prepared...  they weren't looking at the instrument as I played, being seated as I
stood behind them.   'I' can hear the difference between it and my other
Super 64's with their regular covers.  Several pro chromatic players
expressed complete surprise by just how much more muted was the sound compared  to
how that particular instrument usually sounds, so turned around to see  just
what it was they were hearing.....  True, this is anecdotal evidence,  but
it's just as valid to our ears as your claims are to you.

I know those musicians: know their playing creds (and most of them are
gigging jazz musicians with long histories of playing all kinds of harmonicas).
 I don't know you at all.<G>

You can feel free to play your 'other-bodied' harmonicas...no one will give
 you grief. I play them as well, most notably my collection of CX-12's. But
 I certainly don't feel it's anyone else's place to make such a fuss about
wood bodies or covers...or condemn harmonica manufacturers for continuing
to  make them nor come down so hard on those players who prefer wood. Why
can't  someone play what he/she likes without being constantly chastized?

David Payne is a liker of wood bodied harps..he just plain LIKES wood for
its own sake and has expressed this several times in his how-to videos. It
doesn't mean he plays wood combed harps exclusively, rather he reserves the
right to like what he likes, and doesn't care who approves. I admire the
heck out of him for not being afraid to stand up and make that  statement.
How boring life would be were we all to enjoy the same  things, including
music (a point I've made many times before on this list and  Slidemeister).
Stepford lives, anyone?  It's whatever floats your  boat....and vive la
difference..

I most certainly agree with Rob and know we're certainly not the only  two
people who can hear the difference from wood, to plastic, to metal, and  as
several pro players declared in a quite lively informal discussion at  SPAH
who also could hear differences:  the bottom line is what's most  important
in what the player hears since it affects how he/she plays,  ergo how the
performance is transmitted to the audience. That's all that  really matters.

A great many players write me offlist (and on Facebook) who find  the very
idea of a test conducted at SPAH as the 'final word'   for all harmonica
players a bit absurd...given that these people  are primarily from overseas,
don't go to SPAH and don't consider the  findings of a handful of people here
in America as the final word on  ANYthing.

 In fact, there was much discussion at SPAH itself by many people  who
still want nothing to do with it, don't bother posting or responding  simply
because of not wishing to be harangued on harmonica lists if  they dare mention
their love for wood-bodied chromatics. They simply keep their  own counsel,
and keep right on playing their Hohner pear-wood harmonicas.  :)

Elizabeth

PS: To compare my experiences with yours  I own several  wood-combed
chromatics which still play beautifully, are all at least  30 years old and whose
combs haven't swelled, warped, cracked or had their  finish come off
contrary to your assertions. My oldest, a 10 hole Hohner  chromatic, is still as
beautiful sounding as it was when first  made - likely 70 years ago. Perhaps
it's all in your own personal mileage?

PPS: I've just read John Walden's post - and am somewhat taken  aback by
his experiences. I took MY wood-bodied chroms to Arizona in 2006  (Bonfiglio's
Seminar at the Grand Canyon) - they were with me in Phoenix and  Scottsdale
as well for vacation after, and two weeks previously I had them  along with
me at Denver, SPAH (extremely high altitudes).   They  then came back with
me to extremely humid Long Island, during the height of  moist weather
conditions here (I'm a few miles from the water at just above  sea level).  I
didn't have central air in my home at the time....exposing  them to nearly as
extreme conditions as John has described in the  Philippines. At the time I
played Super 64's, 270's and 260's almost  exclusively. They all survived
very nicely (sans humidor). I've had only one  single chromatic body crack over
the years - the twin of my favourite little  260. It happened far more
recently, and purely because the chromatic was  dropped onto a hard surface.

So what's to account for this - Am I just lucky?  Or am I simply one  out
of hundreds of thousands of wood-bodied chromatic owners who find the  whole
bias against wood just a wee bit silly?

Message: 9