[Harp-L] Steve Baker's Grooves

Steve Baker wrote:
Many of the grooves listed by Ken & Rob can also be found on my Blues
Harmonica Playalongs vols. 1-3

I'll second that. Steve's tracks are totally accurate renderings, played so well that they really come alive - not always true with practice tracks. And as I always say, his tracks swing like crazy. I use them every day for my practice because they're FUN to play with.

If you and your pals study his grooves you'll learn how to play them with the power that makes them standards to begin with. (There's little worse than hearing a band play a standard groove perfunctorily. You'd think you couldn't mess up a standard shuffle, but there are just a few right ways and LOTS of wrong ways to shuffle.)

I like to keep encouraging players to learn how to invent their own grooves, but a band that can play the standard grooves with power will get the gigs and pull the audiences. Play all the hotshot licks you like, but if the band ain't grooving it's a big ho-hum.