From: Pat Powers <patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:34:58
To: <EGS1217@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <3N037@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

I think your test was fine, and the data was conclusive.  The comb material does not have much -- if any -- effect on tone or play-ability.  I 've been fighting this debate with the wood-comb traditionalists for years -- My stand is that there is absolutey no benefit to having a wooden comb.  They swell, they warp, they crack, the finish comes off - in other words, it's a terrible base material.  In todays world with so many hybrid composite materials available, I can't understand why anyone would intentionally want a wooden comb.  Some traditionalists claim the wood comb sounds warmer.  To that I say, HOGWASH!!!  And, now I think your test proves it -- the comb material doesn't matter!

The only requirements of the base material is that it is dense, non-porous, easy to machine, is planarized well (nice and flat), and won't warp or crack.
Perfect case in point, the Hohner Special-20, it sounds sweet and warm, and it has a plastic comb.  Add that SPAH test results, and I'd say that's pretty conclusive.  I'm convinced the comb material really doesn't matter.  The sound comes from the reeds, the cover cavity, and the players technique.

-- My 2 cents

patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx