Re: [Harp-L] Reed slot needs to be shortened

On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:31 AM, Vern wrote:

If it were me, I would try the following:

- Make a brass slug the size of the slot and a tad thicker than the plate, maybe .050".
- Place it in the slot.
- Carefully hammer it to expand it in the slot.
- File it even with the surfaces of the plate.
- Take it back to the EDM for a re-do.

The only reason I didn't suggest this was because I assumed that there would be a reed already IN the slot...and working around it this much would be ticklish. With my method the reed could be held high enough out of the way with a straight pin to allow the filing work. And I agree, the file should have no teeth on the sides.
Another idea is to drill an overlap hole at the end of the slot and tap to receive a brass screw. Screw is then cutoff flush top and bottom and then filed with a square file the same width as the slot, (again..no teeth on the sides). You wind up with a 'Pac Man' with a square mouth. Resembles a 'circlip'.

Machinists have been fixing holes this way since rainbows were in black and white. This just happens to be a rectangular hole instead of a round one.

If the above isn't practical, then you could try the following.

- Coat the plate with parting compound and fill the slot with metal- filled epoxy such as JB Weld.
- When set, file the epoxy even with the surfaces of the plate.
- Remove the epoxy slug from the slot.
- Shorten the slug to the desired slot length.
- Coat the slug with parting compound and clean the plate.
- Insert the slug back in the slot.
- Fill the excess length with epoxy.
- Remove the slug.

Yes, this is excellent for extreme cases.

Epoxy doesn't shrink as it sets up and will replicate every tiny detail of the mold. Once JB Weld has set up, it can be worked almost like metal.

You should be left with a slot of the desired length. The longer slug should be fairly easy to file to the desired slot length and check with a micrometer. It will be ticklish business but it might work. I have never done it myself so there could be unforeseen problems.

If you use a method that requires filing in the slot, I would cut down a jeweler's file to .080" wide with no teeth on the sides. This could be done on the EDM whose operator owes you the favor in exchange for the boo-boo on the slot. ;o)

Vern