Re: [Harp-L] Magnetic properties of stainless steels

Hi!

Just a little correction. According to what I learned at university (I am also a
mechanical engineer) we cannot speak about molecules in steel. Molecules are
elecrically not conductive groups of atoms held together by covalent bonds. This
is not really the case in steel.
In steel there are atoms, and different alloying metal components.  Depending on
heat treatment method, they form different crystal structures. Magnetism is
somehow related to crystal structure as far as I understood, some alloys are
magnetic (even stainless) some are not. It depends on alloying percentages and
types of alloys as well.
Also stainless is not famous for its high carbon content, but for it's high
alloy content (chromium, nickel, vanadium, tungsten etc.). Cast iron is famous
for it's high carbon content (and of course carbon-steel, or eg. martensitic
steel).

But to answer the question regarding the 1847, yes the reeds respond to
magnetism up to some degree. Not as much as carbon steel perhaps, but definitely
noticable. So if somebody wants to do some magnetic tricks, make pickups and
amplify the 1847 like a guitar, it should not be impossible in theory.

cheers
Zombor

www.zomborkovacs.atw.hu