Re: [Harp-L] Who to mod my Champ 600

Hi Joe,

I'm sure that you will eventually find somone to do the work, but I fear that
you will have to settle for a hobbyist. The reason being that guys who are
building 5F1 already have the chassis, transformers, boards.....etc. It's easier
to build from the ground up than re-hash your amp's design & layout. A generic
"5F1" board will not sit in your amp an work right, it needs a custom layout.

The "best stuff" is a relative term, for anyone to replace the parts in your amp
for the most desirable parts would mean completely dispensing with your amp.

However, I don't mean for this to sound completely negative, my point is that
you need to just have reasonable expectations. Many of the components in your
amp are perfectly adequate (you say the amp sounds OK, I assume that there is no
objectional hum?).

I would also query the validity of rewiring the circuit as a 5F1, with no tone
control (unless you have played the 2 side by side & prefer the 5F1, which has a
tube rectifier - 600  doesn't). What you essentially have is a BF champ with
fixed tone controls that you cannot adjust. The BF/SF champ is a pretty cool amp
for harp, the fixed values in your amp can be tweaked for a more harp friendly
response (reset for a little less treble, tune mids to taste, bump up the
bass)...it might just take a bit of sucking & seeing. You might also consider
experimenting with removal of the 2nd stage cathode bypass cap, rewiring the NFB
as per a tweed (it's a very high NFB ratio on the BF/Champion 600). I'd look to
reduce voltage on the 12AX7 a little, maybe down to 150-175v-ish either
with/without a 2.2K cathode resistor at V1 pin 3.

If you don't find a harp specific tech to do the work, take these suggestions to
a good amp tech, they are not rocket science. Or if you have a friend who is
competant with working on tube amps (technically & safety-wise) you are welcome
to e-mail me directly for guidance via e-mail.

Regards, Mark.