Re: [Harp-L] Re: Replaceable Reeds

On Oct 21, 2010, at 7:54 PM, pneupco2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Joe
When you're talking accordions, you're right. They are waxed in.

Giggle, the WORST thing you can do is leave one in a hot attic. The reed shoes all collapse into the sound chambers. Then it's a quasi nightmare to figure out where they all go back. If someone picks UP the box, you're in trouble because the 'voices sets' can get mixed with the 'run sets'. I quit using bees wax and went to hot glue.

Oops, I'm wrong. The worst thing you can do is leave one in the cellar and it gets flooded.

Traditional concertina reed shoes just slid into cut outs in the mounting board. Also, I'm talking about one reed per shoe. Not two per reedplate as on accordions.

Ok Paul. I have never been inside a concertina. The only thing I know is that they are tuned English, Irish, German, Austrian, and 'dry Irish'.

On the US Army band harmonica most of the leakage comes from the area where the coverplate meets the comb/reed shoe assembly.

Yes. I used to lay in a teensie bead of caulking, smooth it in, and wipe off the excess with a piece of wet toilet tissue. In 13 minutes it was ready to play..no leakage there.

All of this could be easily controlled/eliminated by modern materials and mfg techniques.

Oh, to be sure, and I certainly wasn't debating that. It's just that having worked construction, I can always seem to find leaks. Nowadays, there's no reason for it. Too many great mucilages, glues, mastics, resins, caulks, etc. I used to run Burt's Bees lip balm along my edges till I went to spl-20s. Now it doesn't seem necessary.

auguri tuti quanto e arriverderci America..........Jo-Zeppi

Regards Paul N. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry