RE: [Harp-L] Which key?

Here's what I do, and I am faced with the scenario(s) presented all the time (as most of us pros are).

If I dont catch it by ear (and I'm about 75% on that, too) I pick up a C harp and go to the major scale in holes 4 - 7 using it as a pitch pipe. If I find the tonal center between two notes then I know to go 1/2 interval up/down for the KEY. Then I decide which position/mode to play in.