Re: [Harp-L] Which key?

The last note of a verse or the entire piece is almost always the keynote, "Do" in the key of the song.
Keep that note in your head and find it as hole-1 or 4 blow on a harmonica of the same key.

The last chord of the song is almost always the tonic or "I" chord of the key, found as the blow chord on a straight diatonic harp or the draw chord of a cross diatonic harp.

If it is 12-bar blues, and you are playing cross harp, find a harp on which the draw chord in the low holes sounds in tune with the chords played by the band in measures 1, 3, 7,  or 11.

If the guitarist's index finger spends a lot of time at the...
... first fret, the key is likely C, E, or F
... second fret, the key is likely A or D
... third fret, the key is likely G
... higher up the neck, ask him!

No rule is hard and fast but these clues may be helpful.

Vern