[Harp-L] Reading Music

Your contribution on this topic today struck a chord with me (no pun
intended!)
I only learned to touch type from a computer programme in my mid fifties and
regard it as one of my better time investments, because my handwriting is
execrable and touch typing makes the computer much more accessible and
useful.
On my retirement I looked forward to learning to read music in a similar way
, but have found this to be much more of a challenge. After desultory and
unsuccessful efforts for a few years I came across a book by Daniel Levithin
called "This is your Brain on Music" I got a few insights from this book
"but -as they say- No Cigar!"
One of the significant things I remember from my touch typing learning
process is that I went through an intermediate stage where I could  mentally
type letters in my head - even while driving along in the car.  I was able
to visualise my fingers hitting the correct keys. When I eventually 'nailed'
the touch typing, I was surprised to find that I could not do it in my head
anymore. The subconscious seemed to have totally taken over. Now I have no
(or only the vaguest) idea where the keys on the keyboard are. My fingers
just go where they need to, without my being aware of how.
My harmonica playing (such as it is) has only ever been by ear and never
terrific. I have never got into Harmonica tab, which I find less user
friendly than ABC tab or even sheet music. However when I hear a tune and go
after it phrase by phrase by ear, my mouth seems to be able to find and hit
the note and if the tune is playable in first position the mouth organ
almost plays itself.
To get back to the typing, I have noticed in this computer age that a lot of
computer 'techies' achieve fair keyboard speed and facility by using two
fingers and looking at the keyboard. I have never seen one of these guys
exercising the self discipline of going back to scratch and learning to
touch type. I am now beginning to wonder whether I am stuck in a similar
groove as far as learning music is concerned.
I would like to be able to get to a stage like my "intermediate" touch
typing where I could practice the harmonica and play tunes in my head. I can
"hear" the tunes alright, but so far I have only got as far as playing the
scales.
Are there any sports coaches or neuroscientists out there who can throw any
light on this?
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana