Re: [Harp-L] Vermona Bandmaster Chromatic

On Oct 16, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Harvey Berman wrote:

A local player was given an old Vermona Chromatic 16 hole Bandmaster by a
relative. It seems to be in good condition, with leather valves. It has a red
plasic comb and is nailed together by rather large pins.

Escutcheon pins (or drift pins)

  It has a sticker on
the back that says Germany/East.

Seydel

It comes in a plastic case that has Chromatic
on the clear plastic cover. I have not played it, because it is pretty dirty
and smells bad.

The smell is probably the leather. It will have leached any odors that were put into the chromo in great amounts. (smoking, halitosis) lol

So, does anyone know if this was a good Chromatic, and if it
has any special value.

It has no intrinsic value. I had one back in the mid 50s. It is not a knock off of a Hohner 270 (as many chromatics are) inasmuch as Seydel is an older company and made most of their products before Hohner did. Two points. #1: The danger lies in whether the chromatic was made BEFORE the communist takeover. In that case, it 's quality doesn't match up to neither BEFORE the takeover nor AFTER the re- unification. In other words, if it was made from about 1945 till 1991 (plus a few years to recoup), it should suck. #2: The red plastic comb should be brittle and all the esthers in the original resin dried out to the point where it can shatter or (more likely) crumble.
I had several collectable model cars with wheels made of that plastic and they all disintegrated, leaving me with miniature cars sitting on miniature concrete blocks giving all the appearance of a typical Western Pennsylvania Hillbilly back yard scenario.

He wants to trade it to me for a couple of Diatonics,
which I always underprice to him, because he has on money

I think you mean 'no' money, so in that case, you could give him a break. But you will be making a donation. It may not be advantageous to get that chromatic back into any acceptable condition.

From what I can find, I think it is a Seydel from East Germany, and I would
assume that it is prewar, but I do not kow if they used plastic combs back
then. Can anyone help?

Yes, maybe not, and yes. Plastic was first used in products in Italy. It was developed by the Montecatini chemical company. The U.S. received much of their patents at the end of the war as war reparations. This left several U.S. companies wealthy and Montecatini went into oblivion.

Does anyone want to buy it, before I take it apart. I really don't work on or
play chromatics very much because I hate valves, those seem to be leather and in
good shape. I am concerned that when I know the pins out that I will break or
chip the comb.

When you knock the pins out, don't whack away at it too hard. smo-joe

Harvey Berman