Re: [Harp-L] The Ins and Outs of Rhythm Harp-Percussive Techniques for Blues Players

Cahebay@xxxxxxx wrote:

I really like this DVD and Peter Madcat Ruth is someone you would  like
instantly, he is very mellow , a cross between a surfer dude  and
Tommy Chong of the old 1978 "Up in smoke" movie.
Great teacher I highly recommend this DVD to anyone, even to newbies, I
gained a lot from it and a couple of techniques i picked up
more then paid for the DVD cost!

Peter's a great guy and as a harmonica player he's up there in the ozone with few others. Love 'im dearly. But...

Just to inject bit of balance in reviews of the "Ins & Outs" DVD, I must say that I never could "get" the way Madcat teaches having the lower lip flopping back and forth over the cover plates. It's the foundation of his method but I could not get it to work for me. I just feel it should be pointed out that it's a technique not everyone will take to.

Still, the DVD is well worth the price (I have nearly worn-out the VHS tape version I've had for years now). Watching Madcat play and teach, you can't help but pick up some pointers each time you view the video. Plus his comedic finale is priceless in itself (I'll leave the details about that a secret except to say it does involve a toothbrush ;).

Bottom line, I agree with Mark -- get it!

Michelle