[Harp-L] Entertainment Value

I think the recent discussions come down to that. How we as listeners and musicians view how music should be presented.

I spent my teen years in the 1970's when theatrics was a big part of the rock music scene. My friends got it. I didn't. I would rather have sat through
a Modern Jazz Quartet concert then go see Alice Cooper or KISS when I was 15. My viewpoint was all the jumping around and stage antics was a way to take
the audience mind off of less then virtuosic musicianship. Of course, now in my 50's I understand the value of showmanship and what the acts were
doing and the people they were reaching out to.

I'm still in the camp that prefers to close their eyes at a concert rather then being amused with antics. Give me the Chicago Symphony over Trans Siberian Orch. any day. I don't mind if the performer doesn't engage the audience with shout outs and "how you doing?" As a musician I entertain the way I like to be entertained and I think that is the approach most or all of us take when we step on stage.

Those among us that grew up on the "Ratpack" and other Vegas type acts aren't as visual on stage as the rockers but they do engage the audience much like Smokey Joe described at his gigs.

Some of my local harp buddies take a different view then me. They were into the heavy theatrics of the 70's rock and funk bands and present themselves more as entertainers providing both the aural and visual stimuli. That is fine. There is a massive MTV crowd that grew up on that stimuli. They attract a larger fan base outside of blues then I could because I don't engage the audience the way they do.

There is a large enough fan base out there that will appreciate how you present yourself on stage. It's just a matter of them finding you. I know local musicians with fair musicianship who gets hordes of gigs
because they learned to balance their musical skills with entertainment skills to create a full package. Then there are those that have talent in both areas. I'm happy being a sideman to whomever is fronting the band.

At the end of the night all we can hope for is that we connected with a like minded audience and left them feeling satisfied.

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com