Re: [Harp-L] question?

I thought this "sensitivity" about the selfdignity of the harmonica was
something peculiar to Brazil (where I live) and other countries with little
tradition of harmonica. As I can see even americans, very traditional
harmonica admires and players, have this issue... I guess it´s something
about the social image of the instrument: a prisioner´s istrument; a child´s
toy; a cowboy companion. More likely a "domestic" instrument rather than a
"real" instrument. Maybe it´s origin as a popular instrument (purposly
created for the masses) is a stigma carried throughout  the years... A
cheap, simple and limited musical instrument for popular music. I don´t care
much for that... It´s embarassing when people call it flute or whatever, but
rather than that I can live with it... People often get surprised when they
hear  complex pieces of music played on the harp, which is not such a bad
thing... being exotic has it´s advantages...

peace,

Breno