Re: [Harp-L] Marine Band 365

In a message dated 13/10/2010 01:18:26 Malay Peninsula Standard Time,
soundguyaudition@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Does any one here have anything good to say about the Marine Band 365  /
364 /
SBS or Soloist type Harps 12 and or 14 hole Diatonic. Thinking of  getting
one.

Well, I learned to play blues harp using 12 hole Hohner diatonic harps. I
much PREFER them to 10 hole harmonicas.

They are more expensive however, and hard to obtain in every key.

As for the SBS, I have tried these, but the tuning is unfamiliar to me, and
 I have to admit to preferring standard Richter tuning... But I guess that
is  just me, because I find non standard tunings VERY confusing. Other
harmonica  players seem to be able to jump between special tunings without  any
problems.

The basic 12, 14, and 16 hole Hohner "Marine Bands" are pear wood  combed,
and of nailed construction. In my opinion, harmonica construction should
have moved on from that, because the combs swell, and the harps are hard to
take  apart and put back together again.

Playing wise?  They are thicker and much larger that 10 hole harps,  and
that might take getting used to. But I suggest you try some and see if  you
like them... I certainly do!

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City,
Philippines.