Re: [Harp-L] The internet, not Carnegie Hall

"And still, none of the response are about the INTERNET which was the point
of the discussion in the first place."

I don´t agree with the argument that internet is harmful to knowledge
creation and circulation, or that it degrades artistic standards. In my
point of view, it has only broadened the access to the very same kind of
knowledge or art you had before. In this sense, "bad" knowledge as well as
the "good" one has spread all around the globe and produced more knowledge
in feedback, regardless of it´s intrinsic quality, or the personal standards
of those accessing it.

Regarding the harmonica (or music in a broader sense), I would think it is
hard to find youtube a bad thing. If I hear of an artist or a style or any
reference to music, I can search it and have the main sources of information
regarding it in a few minutes. When I think back when I had to listen to
music in LP stores and there where certain artists and genres that where
simply unavaileble, and today I can watch music videos and send it to
friends as simple as that, well, you´ll have to admit that it is an
advancement rather than a setback. There will always be ignorant people, in
the sense of ignoring part of the knowledge. Actually, we are all ignorant
in some level, considering we don´t know everything about anything.

On the other hand, the control of information is one if the main principles
in a totalitarian State. A kind of State that has no regard for freedom. The
same kind there was in Germany and Italy during WW II, and in Brazil, my
country, in the postwar (60´s and 70´s). In that context human life was very
much disposable, although Hitler and Mussolini had very high artistic
standards... I wouldn´t sacrifice freedom for the massification of "good"
music. Specially because "good" is very relative.

I would say, then, that sorting information and being careful with what you
read, see or listen  on the internet is a very low price to pay for the kind
of democratic information flow it provides.

BTW, the Buddy Greene video on Carnegie Hall was a bad choice of example for
the point you were trying to raise... In this video, Greene plays fine from
mostly everybody´s point of view, except from the point of view of an
orthodox classical musician. It´s not reasonable to expect an average
appreciation of music to meet such standards. If you search the youtube
you´ll find things that are much more offensive... but still, it doesn´t
mean it should be cut off, we always  have the choice of not watching it.

Peace,

Breno