Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonetta update

Michael: this is all most interesting. At the very least, you're helping
keep the harmonetta alive as a viable harmonica related wind
instrument...and will probably be able to teach it once you progress further.  That's a
good thing...and I'm sure most appreciated by Mr. Herndon..

My curiosity lies in whether you ever studied or played piano or
keyboards?  - I wonder if having that foreknowledge would help? Or since  you find
the Harmonetta more closely related to the accordion set up,  have you ever
played accordion? If not, that probably accounts partly for the  lack of
retention, or difficulty in playing both melody and chord buttons at the  same
time. The rest might be attributed to your switching off to other fingered
instruments such as the mandolin - so your muscle memory is still connected
primarily there - and your brain is thinking in terms of bass chords. It must
be  difficult to switch back into 'harmonetta mode' all in the course of a
week?

I still do what I call 'faking' a lot of the left hand chords for  the most
part since my piano lessons were rudely interrupted by emigrating to  the
US -  making them up as I go along, but lately (and for the first time
ever), I've been 'doing a Kalina'  (borrowed the idea after watching Ron  Kalina
do just this at several SPAHs)  - playing my keyboard with  one hand while
playing a Super 64 chromatic at the same time - switching hands  where
necessary. It amazed me that I could sync the upper register so completely  - even
improv-ing and free-style playing. Never knew that was possible (for  me).

...I don't imagine the Harmonetta is an easy instrument to learn  in any
case, though...since Mr. Herndon seems to be one of the  remaining few people
playing it at all...but it certainly lent a nice background  line to the
chromatic jazz players in the last video I watched of him.   Somewhere I have
in my own video collection a SPAH seminar with Bob Herndon  playing along
with many of those same chromatic players from a couple of years  ago. Should
dig it out.

I'm seriously intrigued by the new (44 key) melodium (I think they've
changed the name slightly from melodica) made by Suzuki. There was a smaller one
 on sale at SPAH -but Daron had a brochure showing the bigger keyboard
which  immediately grabbed my interest. Since I love my keyboard (too huge and
unwieldy to cart around), it seems just the right size of instrument to
learn to  play and carry.  I haven't looked into it seriously enough, yet...but
will  probably do so in the next couple of months.

But I've long been intrigued by the harmonetta as well and have followed
your adventures. Just observing you playing these 'new' instruments (to  you)
has sparked quite a bit of interest in general, I think. So keep up the
good work on the mandolin as well. Perhaps one day your new baby girl will
become a virtuoso on one or other of them (teaching by example is most
definitely the best method)<G>

Elizabeth

"Message: 9