Re: [Harp-L] shifting gears...Big vs Smal

Richard Hunter wrote

" given the demographics of these shows, the strong likelihood is that these festivals will be much smaller beginning a few years from now."

The demographics are people like me, 52. The SPAH I attended (2005) mostly had people around my age. Harp-l I suspect is likewise. A brief look through the profiles on harmonicaspace.com shows the same. White, male, 40+

Nothing wrong with that. For now. We've got money to spend on gear, we've been around long enough to become good (or at least OK), we have organisational skills , and some of us have free time enough to enjoy it all. In 20 years time we'll still be here (mostly), playing the same music, arguing about comb materials.

However there may not be a generation of younger players taking our place.

Why? I thinkthe problem is partly the teaching material, which focuses mostly on blues, particularly styles from the great 40's and 50's pioneers. Anyone with teenage kids will know that blues doesn't register with them. Not surprising - I wasn't engaged with music from 50 years ago when I was a teenager

To create the next generation of harmonica players we have to look beyond blues, partiuclarly with regard to teaching. There is now a great diversity in harmonica styles, some pushing boundaries with hip hop and world music styles. The Internet brings it together. Our teachers need to move with this, and present material attractive to younger players instead of just the 40+ group.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays