Re: [Harp-L] Train conventions vs Harp Conventions

As a quilter, needle point, counted cross stitch, red work, widower of a prize winner and former show person in all of these realms, all I can say is that these type events are:

"You're in, you're out..nobody gets hurt". What am I saying? Well, it's like the gun shows or the woodcraft shows that I have been involved in. People come in the door, buy a ticket, diddy bop around for a few hours and then leave. There is no gala dinner/show, for sure no one is sticking around for days. No one is FAST DRAWING in the halls (lol), and the freight is born out by the vendors AND the large numbers of attendees, who, while admittedly get in for far less than a harmonica event, also don't stay very long ..by comparison. So the turnover in moneys is rather great in that respect.

The question of raising funds was voiced. Getting people to contribute to something usually rests on the premise that the entity doing the fund raising is using the funds for something that people think is important. I doubt this would work for the harmonica community because: We're not UNICEF, Hatian relief, Salvation Army, United Way, MD, Myesthenia Gravis, Animal rescue, save the manatees, and yada yada. No one is going to give to "Save the harp players". lol

Contributions would have to come from the harmonica manufacturers and the playing public. A public that seems to be under duress right now and also can't make up their mind if they should pay the new harp price hikes. Manufacturers who wonder if their new price hikes will depress sales. It's seems to me this is all a never ending series of dichotomies. Jus sayne.

smo-joe