[Harp-L] shifting gears...Big vs Small

First off I want to apologise for not spell checking my last email, hate
when I do that :-)

After 5 years of attending SPAH conventions I was honored to be asked to be
on the board of directors. I must admit I was pretty fired up that I could
be a part of the "inner circle" and help make this "thing" bigger and
better. Coming from the business world my mind thinks "growth". Mr. Hunter
obviously thinks the same way. I am here to say that after two years on the
board and being part of putting on two incredibly successful conventions
(Sacramento & Minneapolis) I have a much different frame of mind about
growth. Especially the motives for growth in relation to our own little
piece of paradise. Yes, paradise. The SPAH convention experience is paradise
to me and I think to many others. The intimacy of our event along with the
GSHC, Buckeye and other small harp festivals is PRICELESS. Now does that
mean we should stop progressing and trying to grow? Of course not. That is
why, as Tom Stryker pointed out, that much of the SPAH progress is behind
the scenes. With so many wonderful traditions, one by one, going the wayside
in this great country due to economic factors I am prouder than ever to be a
part of a volunteer team that even though weak in numbers still takes care
of business and gets the job done. Paradise wasn't built in a day either.
All year, festival teams work to pull together resources and make things
happen for the benefit of all HARMONICA LOVERS! Val & Phil have worked
wonders for the GSHC to keep it alive. Growth? Heck they were about to be
buried! Stevie Wonder or Toots Thielman nor any other "big time" performers
will save and grow these festivals. They will help but it is the Vals  &
Phils of the community and their rallying of the troops that gets it all
done. Danny G. & Richard are also hero's of the harmonica world. The Buckeye
tradition grew from "done" back to "fun" without missing a beat because of
their hard work and dedication to preserving "paradise".

I just want to say that we all need to be careful what we wish for in life.
Bigger isn't always better. It really depends on your "brand" of paradise.
Big crowds don't always make for big fun. Bigger crowds in a well
orchestrated environment might work but the infrastructure has to be as
strong as the "small crowd" events. This takes money and people. End of
story.

I think Richard Hunter is more interested in promoting a big harmonica
concert festival. Lots of people, big names etc. Well, my final thought on
that is go for it brother! As long as you are sure that you will be
preserving and advancing the harmonica in the process I am sure that we
involved in these small time events will be looking to you for inspiration
and direction.

Warren Bee

--
Warren "Bee" Bachman