Re: [Harp-L] AMHERST RAILWAY SOCIETY INC.

Warren Bee wrote:
>*read this and tell me that the volunteers of an approximately 450 member
>group put on a show for 22,000. *

See: http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/abouttheshow.asp

I quote from that page:
"Every year late in January or early in February, the Amherst Railway Society holds its Railroad Hobby Show at the Eastern States Exposition Fairgrounds (The home of The Big E) in West Springfield Massachusetts. More than 25,000 railfans and public attended the Show each of the past three years."

Tom Stryker said in a previous post that SPAH needs volunteers, not ideas, at least not from people who aren't volunteers. (By the way, how many volunteers does SPAH have right now?) I therefore apologize up front for throwing out an idea without being a volunteer. I understand that a number of people will stop reading right about now, and I have no complaint about that.

I feel obliged to point out that the issue at stake here is this: what is SPAH supposed to be 10 years from now?  What is a harmonica festival supposed to be 10 years from now?  Is a festival that draws thousands considered to be a less desirable outcome than a festival that draws 400?

If the answer is that drawing thousands is a desirable outcome, then what changes are necessary to make that happen?

If a festival that steadily draws 400 is the desired outcome, then no changes are necessary.  Unless we take into account that in 20 years most of the people who now attend SPAH will be dead.  (I hasten to add, not by my hand.)

So what's the vision of a harmonica festival for the 21st century?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick