[Harp-L] vox vt-30 review

i recently joined my favorite band, and decided i needed
a better amp than my old workhorse peavey bandit.  based
on some comments here, and the nice review on youtube,
i decided to check out the vox vt-30.  it's a hybrid tube/digital
modeling amp, using a 12ax7 in its power amp stage.  which
means nothing to me, really.  i just love the way it sounds.
after a few hours auditioning it and its brethen (vt-15 and vt-30)
in the showroom, i settled on the 30w version, and have been
very happy with it.

all of these have 22 amp models, about half of which are usable for
harp (the others are high gain metal amps).  they also have a
variety of effects, delay, chorus, etc., as well as an independent
reverb.  they differ in power (15w, 30w, 50w), speaker size
(8", 10" and 12"), and cost ($169, $239, $379).  vox has since
announced an updated line of these, due out some unspecified
time next year, with 20w, 40w, and 80w.  but i needed this now,
and chose not to wait.

there are also a bunch of presets, combinations
of models/effects that are either common settings for the
given amps or simulate that amp as used in various well
known recordings.  these appear to be useless for
harp, unless you like screeching howling feedback at
any volume.  stick to manual mode and you'll be good.
you can also save 8 presets of your own, which might be
handy, though i've not used this feature.

i was originally looking at the 50w version, since i need
something loud enough to keep up in whatever situation
i play in.  i can't count on mic'ing to a PA, and play in a
variety of band, jam, and sit-in situations. but the cost
( $239 vs. $379 ) and weight ( 27 lb vs. 45 lb ) advantages
of the 30 gave it the edge.  but i just wasn't sure if it'd be
loud enough.

given that i have 30 days to try it out, i took it to the local
jam the next day.  played 2 sets with mic'ed drums, bass,
keyboards and two guitars (very loud).  the amp held its own,
and sounded great.  though i did have it turned up to about
75% (there're no numbers on the dials, which i find delightfully
elegant).  a few days later i sat in with a friend's blues band.
they play ridiculously loud, and i had to turn it way up, but
it held its own against drums/bass/keys/2 guitars.  it's plenty
loud enough for the rehearsal studio, and we mic the amps
when my band plays, so no problems there.

overall, i love this amp.  it sounds great to my ears, gets
very loud when you want it to, and is responsive to a degree
i've not experienced before.  i play through an sm 57, usually
wireless, and this combination is remarkably feedback
resistant.  i usually play the ac30 model, with a little delay,
and i've stood in front of it with volume and master at 10,
gain around 3, without feedback.  maybe it's the closed
back cabinet, but the sound seems to start maybe 6 feet
in front of you.  it feels very solid and well built, and
i like the way it looks.  the controls are nicely designed,
invoking a vintage feel, and easy to use. i can carry it
with one hand, and put it in my (little) car without hurting
my back.

anyway, i'd highly recommend this amp.  it sounds great,
feels great, gets louder than it has any right to.  and all
for a measly $250 with tax.  if you really need LOUD,
consider the vt50, or the vt15 if you don't, and want
to save some bucks.  of course, you'd be a fool to take my
word for it, especially when i'm espousing harp amp heresy.
but you ought to at least go find a music store and take
it for a spin; you might like what you hear.

vox page: http://www.voxamps.com/valvetronix/vt-series/
youtube review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRYKpDJC014

--
We make a living from what we get,