[Harp-L] Turner Crystal 22X mic

A friend gave me a Turner Crystal 22X microphone that was moldering away in a basement for 40 + years.  I tried it the other night and it sounds great.  Does anyone have any experience in modifying this microphone?  I'd like to add a volume knob.   Also, what is the best way to eliminate the moldy basement smell from the mic and jack?  Any customizers out there recommend rewiring the whole thing or do I lose something by replacing the original crystal element?  Any advice is appreciated.

Mark