Re: [Harp-L] who to mod my Fender Champ 600

joe hagins wrote:
<I am looking at having my stock Champ 600 gutted and rewired PTP to the 5F1 <specs with upgraded trannys and have a Weber 8" speaker I have she horned into <the cab.. Does anyone know who/where that can do these mods?

Ron Holmes at Holmes Engineering is a master harp amp tech.  You can find him at:
http://www.holmeseng.com/

Ron redid my Crate VC508 (which also has a Weber 8") a few years ago and turned it from a decent stock amp into a 5W monster. He did his work quickly and well, and communicated frequently throughout the process to make sure he understood exactly what I wanted.  I liked that amp before Ron did his work.  Now I love it.

Among other things, he added an XLR balanced line-out after the amp stage (as opposed to the stock post-preamp line-out), so the amp can be run directly to a PA without losing tone. If you like the sound of your Champ and would like to use it in larger venues, consider adding that to the mods you described in your message.  As I recall, the stock Champ doesn't have any line-out at all.  It's not a very pricey mod, and it'll make the Champ sound as big as the PA.

Speaking of which, Ron's prices are very reasonable considering the quality of the work and the ease of working with him.

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick