Re: [Harp-L] Authentic Pronunciation

The worst fake US accents can be heard on British TV shows. Don't know why they bother; don't know why it is either.
Maybe they're just so comfortable in their own culture(s) they can't reach out of it.
RD

>>> "Timothy J. Schutte" <kc8hr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/10/10 4:35 AM >>>
Hi Aongus,

On 09/30/2010 04:18 PM, Aongus Mac Cana wrote:
> I have followed this thread with interest and some amusement. I guess it is
> a worldwide phenomenon.
> Here in Ireland singers who aspire to the 'big time' seem to think that it
> is necessary to sing in what they believe is an "American" accent.
> I silently applaud anyone I hear singing in their natural locally acquired
> voice: Dolores Keane or Frank Harte for example.
> As for non-native speaking guys singing in Gaelic (self included) Lets not
> go there!
> Beannachtai
> Aongus Mac Cana

I have noticed that, and it's especially funny to hear Irish and British
singers trying to do 'hillbilly' and 'Motown' accents. But it's even
funnier when an American tries to sing in an Irish or Scottish accent!

I used to have a friend, now sadly dead, who sang and played in a local
Irish pub. He sang 'Carrick Fergus' in Gaelic, but I don't know if he
spoke Gaelic fluently.

Keep on tootin'!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte, http://senseitim.blogspot.com/
"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!" --Popeye the Sailor-Man