Re: [Harp-L] re: am I alone... one more thought

Right on Warren!

Spaces aren't gaps in the music. Spaces are a major PART of the music.
I also believe that the most important part of a musician's instrument are his/her EARS.
And ONE WELL PLAYED NOTE can be more musical than 100 other notes. ex: Miles could say more with one note than generations of instrumentalists that have followed could say with thousands of notes.

I have found that when I am playing with musicians with whom I do not have a long and musically intimate relationship, it's better to stay within yourself and focus on clean toneful notes when soloing than attempt to get into that ZEN creative place where inspiration rules. The other musicians will appreciate your restraint and the audience will greatly approve of a mistake-free and technically excellent performance.

However, the more time you spend woodshedding, the more you will be able to do 'within yourself' and the more riffs you will be able to access automatically. It also helps to record yourself woodshedding so you can hear later what you actually sound like and which of those creative riffs you happen across while experimenting that you really wish to integrate into your repetoire. Then you should practice those riffs over and over and then listen to it over and over, then practice them over and over again until you can do them standing on your head in the middle of a hurricane.

Also if you get time collectively to woodshed with your bandmates regularly jamming without anybody else listening, then you are able to develop an intuitition where the jam is going and can allow yourself and your bandmates to make mistakes without being self-conscious. That's a tremendous blessing when you ARE playing for others and just back off a tiny little bit so that there are no mistakes or clams.

Most of the time a performance is just that. A performance, and not a free-for-all jam session.

Splash!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren Bee"
Lean on sweet spots and play the "space". Attack your harp with more dynamics and less riffing. OPEN your ears and let the other musicians steer you to new ideas. Most importantly- smile and move your body. Don't let em see you sweat :-)
WB