Re: [Harp-L] Am I Alone???

Hi all,

I found practicing to the classics for awhile, and then practicing just me
though an amp for even longer helps this stuck in a rut feeling. It seems
to  improve what I can do through my head, to the harp, through the amp. If I
 want to be a masochist, I record and listen back  :). Practicing through
on  an amp alone really helps.

Hope this helps ya,

Chris Mastakas

In a message dated 11/30/2010 8:35:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  11/29/2010 07:55 PM, Michael D'Aurizio wrote:
> I practice at home, or  in my truck at work. I come up with a lot of
great licks. They are innovative  (for me), musically advanced (for me), and I
really get excited about layin  down these great new riffs at the next gig.
The next gig comes, and all I do  is play the same old tired licks over and
over again. I can't seem to get  creative enough on stage to trust my skills,
and let the " new and improved"  chops flow. Once in a GREAT while the
planets will be aligned just right, and  the magic will happen, and the riffs
will just flow from my instrument. I will  leave that gig thinkin " Yeah baby,
I'm on to the next level!!" Then the next  gig same old sh#*!!! Am I alone
with this??? Will I ever be able to catch  "That Magic" more than once in a
while?? I sure hope so!

you're hardly alone.  there're a number of factors in play  here.
it's easy to push the envelope at home when nobody can hear  you,
you get all the do-overs you want, you don't have to keep up
with  the band, the material's familiar, etc.

i once complained about this to  jason, and he said that there was
a 6 month lag between how you play in  your living room and how
you play on stage, even at his level.  so  don't sweat it, just think how
good you'll sound in 6 months!

i'd  also emphasise warren's point.  play less.  make what you  play
count.  when you're playing all the time it's hard to keep  thinking
up new things to play.  and if you play every lick you know  on every
verse, things will get old fast.

--
We make a  living from what we get,
but we make a life from what we give.